Wednesday, July 11, 2007

New Microsoft Fonts

Like AKMAdam who regularly blogs about it, I'm fascinated with fonts. With Microsoft's release of Vista and the new Office 2007 suite, they have provided ten new fonts. (For their appearance and some evaluations, check them out HERE and additionally HERE.) I personally find them to be quite attractive in general with a 'fresh' look to them while not becoming simply 'casual.' Interestingly, Calibri, a sans serif font, is the new Microsoft default font replacing Times New Roman. Calibri is nice, but I think I like Candara better. Still, I prefer a serif font for reading. Cambria and Constantia are the two new serif fonts, and I think I will find occasion to use both of them. BTW, Constantia was designed by John Hudson, the same person who is designing the SBL Greek and Hebrew fonts. Of the new Microsoft fonts, none of them carry Hebrew characters. Only Segoe UI (a Unicode font) contains a full set of Greek characters. For your viewing pleasure, I've included here a graphic displaying the still-in-beta SBL Greek, SBL Hebrew, and the new Microsoft Segoe UI. (click to enlarge)


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the heads up about Segoe UI being a Unicode font with Greek support. It looks wonderful on screen.

    I have been struggling to find a Greek font that is nice on the eye in Libronix for my monitor.

    ReplyDelete